The sun is shining, the trees are blooming and if you don’t have allergies it’s probably one of your favorite times of the year! But if you suffer from allergies, you probably are miserable!
As many as 1 in 3 seasonal allergy sufferers may experience a condition called “Oral Allergy Syndrome”. This manifests as a tingling of the mouth or itchy throat after ingesting certain foods. Some fruits and veggies contain proteins that could cause a cross reaction between the proteins in the foods you are eating and the pollen of plants you are allergic to.
Depending on what plant (pollen) triggers your allergy there are foods that would be better to avoid. There are charts that list each food to avoid associated with a specific allergen, but I made a list with some common foods that may worsen allergy signs.
FOOD ALLERGY TRIGGERED BY
1) Celery: alder pollen, birch pollen and mugwort pollen.
2) Peaches: alder pollen, birch pollen
3) Tomatoes: grass pollen
4) Melons: grass pollen
5) Bananas: birch pollen, ragweed pollen
6) Cucumbers: ragweed pollen
7) Zucchini: ragweed pollen
8) Oranges: grass pollen, and possibly to any of the others
9) Carrots: birch pollen, mugwort pollen
10) Parsley: alder pollen, birch pollen and mugwort pollen
There are other foods that could worsen allergy signs using other pathways. These are
1) Spicy Foods: they contain capsaicin which is an irritant that produces a burning sensation in any tissue with which it comes into contact. It is responsible for the “hotness” of the chilli peppers. In response to consuming a spicy dish, your nose might run, your eyes could water and you may even sneeze. So it is best to stay away from them until your allergies are better.
2) Alcohol: alcoholic beverages cause blood vessels to dilate and they may contain some naturally-occurring histamine that may worsen the nasal congestion caused by allergies. If you feel really congested already, it is best to avoid consuming alcoholic beverages.
At Prevention Foods we strive to provide interesting information that could help improve your health! We hope this helps!